PLAYING TIME RULES:
Purpose: Allows the substitution of players into the game at the halfway points of the 1st and 2nd quarters versus 7 minute increments throughout the 1st two quarters of the game. In addition, it will force the sitting of all players, which in turn will allow more playing time for all players and improve the quality of play.
The format of all SYBA games will be as follows:
NOTE: Each Division has a different time limit for each quarter. Therefore, each division will need to adapt this rule by dividing its time period in half. The rule below is formatted based on the U-14 Division. The following applies in terms of division of each quarter:
U-10 – 6 minute quarters broken into two (2) 3 minute halves
U-12 – 7 minute quarters broken into two (2) 3.5 minute halves
U-14 - 7 minute quarters broken into two (2) 3.5 minute halves
U-18 – 16 minute half broken into four (4) - four minute segments
1) The first and second quarters are to be broken up into (two) 3 minute and 30 second halves per quarter for substitution purposes. The clock at the beginning of each quarter is to be set at 7 minutes. At the end of the first 3 minutes and 30 seconds (or as close to it as possible) of the 1st half of quarter 1 and quarter 2, the teams will make substitutions according to below.
2) Clock for the 3rd and 4th quarter will be set to 7 minutes each with no stoppage for substitutions at the half way point. Coaches can substitute at their own discretion.
3) OT rules remain the same with a 3:00 minute overtime and substitutions at the coach’s discretion.
1) Teams with 10 Players:
2) Teams with 8 - 9 Players:
3) Teams with 7 Players:
4) Teams with 6 Players:
If a team only has six players, one substitute will be made after each half of quarter. However, the coach must substitute his 1st round player for at least one half period (3:30) in the 1st or 2nd quarter. If the coach, fails to substitute their 1st round player in the 1st or 2nd quarter, the 1st round player must sit out the entire 3rd quarter. (First Eight Minutes of 2nd half of the U18 Division)
Coaches are going to be held directly responsible for adhering to the above procedures. It is the responsibility of both game coaches to maintain the integrity of the above procedures. If a coach is found to be in violation of the above procedures, the game in which the violation occurred will automatically be forfeited.
A player CANNOT be substituted due to foul trouble in the first half.
1. Coaches and referees should do their best to stop play at a convenient time as close to the half point of the quarter. Substitutions shall be made swiftly and promptly and coaches shall not use this time as a pseudo time out. Play must continue quickly to ensure remaining on schedule for subsequent games.